GCI Bottles recalled - safety warning!

All the hot gossip and news... What is new in the paintball scene!?!

Moderator: Moderator

GCI Bottles recalled - safety warning!

Postby FUBAR on Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:17 am

From: http://www.macdev.net/us/gci.htm & http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1161678

GCI Bottle Recall - 23rd August 2005 .

During the period of August 2004 to March 2005, MacDev LegionAir air systems and Conquest air systems were assembled using GCI (Global Composites International) bottles, manufactured in the USA by GCI. These bottles were supplied to MacDev by GCI with correct DOT specifications and certifications. It has just been determined by the US DOT (Department of Transport) that these bottles are unsafe.

In light of this information, MacDev are issuing a recall of all GCI manufactured bottles . Systems using these bottles must not be used under any circumstances, as using a GCI bottle is potentially hazardous. MacDev takes no responsibility for any accident, harm, injury or damage arising from continued use of GCI bottles. All fault and wrongdoing lies with GCI as the manufacturer of these bottles.

Since ending their relationship with GCI, MacDev have committed to Luxfer bottles for use with LegionAir systems. Luxfer tanks are of higher quality than GCI cylinders, and have a longstanding and solid record with the DOT. The use of Luxfer cylinders for LegionAir systems will result in a better quality product for MacDev customers, at a slightly increased price.

Customers who have purchased MacDev LegionAir or Conquest tanks with GCI bottles will not be abandoned by MacDev . GCI bottles can be replaced with brand new Luxfer 5 year retest bottles for a small cost. Customers with GCI bottles manufactured in 2005 may have their bottle replaced for $US40, whilst those customers with GCI bottles manufactured in 2004 may have their bottle replaced for $US60. MacDev regrets that there must be a cost to those customers affected, however please recognise that the cost to MacDev is greater, and those bottles replaced will have an extended life over those already possessed by the customer.

Unfortunately, there is a worldwide carbon fibre shortage, and as this material is used in the manufacture of Luxfer bottles, there may be a delay for some customers to have their bottle replaced. Please be patient and understanding at this time – replacements will be dealt with in the order that they are requested, so please contact us as soon as possible.

For more information about bottle replacement, or to have your bottle replaced, please contact:

MacDev – USA
Phone: 951 359 4859

MacDev – Australia
Phone: +612 9531 5055

MacDev air systems are not the only paintball air systems affected by the GCI recall – all systems sold with the GCI logo are suspect and should not be used under any circumstances. We urge all paintball air system users (whether you are a MacDev customer or not) to check your bottle and if you have a GCI bottle to contact the system manufacturer.

Customers please note, the MacDev bottle replacement is only valid for GCI bottles sold with the MacDev logo. Furthermore, bottle replacement must occur within six months of this safety recall, replacement requests after this time may be denied.
I can out learn you, I can out read you, I can out think you, and I can out philosophize you,... and I'm gonna out last you.
FUBAR
Site Admin

Return to Paintball News